- FEMA is hosting a training on January 17th and 18th on Preliminary Damage Assessment. This training is not targeted toward VOAD’s, but it is likely the topic will be interesting and informative to the work many of you do. The training is free, but you do have to apply. Since the date is quickly approaching please make sure to apply as soon as possible.
COMING IN MARCH is our 2017 MNVOAD ANNUAL CONFERENCE.
Registration is now live!
There are limited scholarships available. Act fast to get yours!
Please contact email@example.com for more information.
For more information on the conference, click here.
2017 MNVOAD CONFERENCE
Dear MNVOAD Members and Partners:
It is hard to believe that we have reached the end of 2016. And, what an eventful year it has been!
Thunderstorms, Flooding, Straight-line winds, Tornadoes and successfully hosting the National VOAD Conference – all the while Cooperating, Communicating, Coordinating and Collaborating!
Below is a partial list of our collaborative responses the past six months:
- May 22 – 26 – National VOAD Conference attended by over 400 people with MNVOAD Past President Ruth Talford winning the national Spirit Award.
- July 5 – The summer’s disaster responses began with a response to severe thunderstorm damage in the Ball Club and Deer River areas.
- July 12-21 – Voluntary agencies responded to tornado/severe thunderstorm damage in the Litchfield/Watkins area and subsequent flooding in Aitkin, Kanabec and Kandiyohi Counties.
- July 21 – August 18 – Voluntary agencies respond to assist with tree debris clean-ups in NE MN (Duluth area). They also assist with establishment of a Long-Term Recovery Committee (LTRC) in Willmar.
- September 28 – October 3 – In response to storms that dumped in excess of 14” of rain in southern MN or 9/21, Ten voluntary agencies and groups of unaffiliated volunteers participate in initial muck-out/clean-up and debris removal projects in Waseca, Freeborn (Albert Lea) and Blue Earth St. Clair) Counties.
- October 7-9 – Six voluntary agencies combine to assist with a second round of flood muck-out, clean-up and mold remediation operations in Waseca, Albert Lea and St. Clair, MN.
- October 8-10 – Voluntary agencies establish/operate/staff Multi-Agency Resource Centers (MARC’s) in Waseca and in Albert Lea, MN.
- November 4-6 – A third muck-out/clean-up event in the Waseca and Albert Lea areas. 40 volunteers from several agencies assisted.
- December 2-4 – A fourth muck-out/clean-up event took place in Waseca and Albert Lea areas with 126 volunteers from several agencies!
- And, Lutheran Social Services has stepped up, trained, and helped organize Long Term Recovery Committees in Wilmar, Albert Lea, and Waseca and is doing long term recovery for the next couple of months in two locales.
These efforts, which impacted hundreds of our neighbors, are only possible because of you. Thank you for everything that you accomplished in 2016.
And, thank you to our Government partners, our private sector partners, and my fellow MNVOAD Board members, for all their support in helping us live the VOAD 4 C’s.
I look forward to a calmer 2017, but know that together we can prepare, respond, and recover together as resilient, strong communities to whatever lies ahead.
Let’s have a wonderful 2017!